This holiday has humble beginnings and is intertwined with inspirational figures that have shaped the world. We celebrate our fathers and the father figures in our lives who take on one of the greatest responsibilities.
Sonora Smart Dodd is credited with founding Father's Day celebrating her father, the civil war veteran. William Jackson Smart was a single parent of six children, where he was celebrated on June 19th, 1910, at a Spokane Washington YMCA. During this day, Sonora visited disabled fathers delivering presents. Sonora's mother passed while giving birth to the youngest sibling which really pushed the appreciation of her father as he continued to raise his children the very best he could. Although this holiday is celebrated on different dates around the globe, most find them celebrating the third Sunday of June. Here are a few more facts about Father’s Day and famous father's you may not know.
- In 1966 Lyndon Johnson made a proclamation that Father's Day be a national celebration
- In 1972 congress passed an Act to declare Father's Day a national holiday
- It is the fourth largest card selling holiday in the world
- George Washington, the father of our nation, had no children of his own but he did adopt two children
- The Stevie Wonder song "Isn't she lovely" was written about his daughter
Winn Technology Group would like to say Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there.